Thursday, April 30, 2009

RIP Matthew James

On March 27, 2009, the strongest man I've ever known lost his battle with cancer.

From the moment I first met him, I knew he was going to impact my life. I'm sure it scared the crap out of him, being called "daddy" when he'd only been dating my mom a few months... (I was a bit precocious) but he rose to the challenge, and changed my life forever.

Matthew James lives on in the hearts of the people he has touched. He was the most generous and down to earth person I knew. I hope that right now, he's sitting down to a giant buffet, eating to his heart's content.

I'm sorry I didn't update sooner. After a while, it just got too sad. There was very little hope, and I guess by putting it in words, it would have made it a reality. Well, regardless, reality struck, and I lost my daddy. I miss him every day, especially when I watch a movie that reminds me of him.

We collected his ashes last weekend, and now the box is sitting in his favorite place: On a bookshelf, with all of his musical instruments, sandwiched between Stephen King's The Stand, and an Oxford English Dictionary.

I've been told that I have a "very unique view on death," simply because I don't sit around moping all the time and crying. I do cry for him, and I do mope occasionally, but it isn't my life. I remember the good things, and try to let go of th bad.

We're planning a memorial for him on July 25th. It would have been his 40th birthday. It's going to be a huge party, and no one will be allowed to wear black. Instead of mourning his death, we'd like to celebrate his life. The life of a man who lived more in 39 years than most of us will in 90. I'll update again with details, as everyone who can make it is invited.

Signing off to go do more college applications,
~~S~~

No comments:

Post a Comment